What do these eight things have in common?
- Hair growing lotion
- Automatic elevator doors
- Peanut Butter
- Early version of the gas mask
- Improved pacemaker
- Super Soaker
- The Wrench
- Famous Amos Cookie
They were all invented by African-American inventors
Listed in order are the inventors of the objects above: Lydia A. Newman, Alexander Miles, George Washington Carver, Garrett Morgan, Otis Boykin, Lonnie G. Johnson, Jack Johnson, Wallace “Wally” Amos Jr.
5 Facts about Jackie Robinson:
- Jack “Jackie” Roosevelt Robinson was given his middle name in honor of President Theodore Roosevelt, who died 25 days before Robinson was born.
- Jackie’s brother Matthew, “Mack”, was a star athlete as well, he won a Silver Medal in the 200 meters behind Jesse Owens during the 1936 Summer Olympics in Berlin, Germany.
- Jackie Robinson played himself in The Jackie Robinson Story, a biographical film released in 1950 about his life.
- Jackie Robinson’s longest batting streak came during his rookie season when he hit safely in 21 consecutive games.
- Robinson hit two grand slam home runs in his career; on June 24, 1948, and two years later on the same date.