The Museum of the Shenandoah Valley can be found on 901 Amherst Street in Winchester, VA. The museum is open year-round and the house and gardens Apri
The Museum of the Shenandoah Valley can be found on 901 Amherst Street in Winchester, VA. The museum is open year-round and the house and gardens April through October. They are all open 10 am to 4 pm, Tuesday through Sunday and closed on Mondays as well as major holidays. There are three major sections of the establishment; the house, the gardens, and the actual museum.
The Glen Burnie House is on land that James Wood, founder of Winchester settled in 1735. The house was first constructed by James’ son Robert in the 1790’s. The house then was passed through generations of Wood and Glass families until it reached Julian Wood Glass Jr. in the 1950’s. Glass preserved the home and aided by his partner R. Lee Taylor, transformed it into a beautiful 254 acre retreat with six acres of formal gardens. After his death as a condition of his will, the house and gardens were opened to the public in 1997.
The gardens that surround Glen Burnie’s house are described by the museum as “both impressive and intimate.” There are many different flowers from the Pleached Allée to Boxwood plantings. The Rose Gardens are even comprised of nearly 400 individual plants. The landscape of the gardens are described as having “Asian influences” by the museum with a Water Garden where golden trout swim in a spring fed pond. The creation of the gardens began in 1956.
The Museum of the Shenandoah Valley (MSV) has four main galleries that are all on the second
level of the main museum building. The Shenandoah Valley Gallery contains objects, dioramas, multi-media presentations, and decorative art pieces that show the history of the valley. There is also a gallery dedicated to Julian Wood Glass Jr. called the Founders Gallery that holds his impressive collection of art. The R. Lee Taylor Miniatures Gallery holds a collection of miniature houses and rooms assembled by R. Lee Taylor. The last gallery is the Changing Exhibitions Gallery where the exhibit displayed changes throughout the year.