Pumpkin Mousse Parfaits
- 1 envelope unflavored gelatin
- ¼ c. dark rum
- 1 can solid-packed pumpkin
- ½ c. granulated sugar
- ½ c. light brown sugar
- 2 extra-large egg yolks
- 2 tsp. finely grated orange peel
- ½ tsp. ground cinnamon
- ¼ tsp. ground nutmeg
- ½ tsp. Kosher salt
- 1½ c. cold heavy cream
- 1½ tsp. pure vanilla extract
- 1 c. cold heavy cream
- 1 tbsp. granulated sugar
- 1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
- 3½ c. chopped store-bought gingersnap cookies
- 3 tbsp. dry crystallized ginger (optional)
- Prepare mousse: In small heatproof metal bowl, sprinkle gelatin over rum. Let stand 10 minutes to soften gelatin.
- In large bowl, whisk pumpkin, sugars, egg yolks, orange peel, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt until well combined.
- To 2-quart saucepan, add enough water to come 1 inch up side. Heat to boiling, then reduce heat to simmer. Set bowl of gelatin mixture over simmering water. Heat until gelatin dissolves. Immediately whisk hot gelatin mixture into pumpkin mixture.
- In large bowl, with mixer with whisk attachment on high speed, beat cream and vanilla until soft peaks form. Fold cream into pumpkin mixture.
- Prepare cream: In large bowl, with mixer with whisk attachment on high speed, beat cream until it starts to thicken. Add sugar and vanilla; beat until medium peaks form. Do not overbeat.
- Assemble parfaits: Divide half of pumpkin mixture among 12 small parfait glasses. Divide chopped cookies among glasses. Top with half of whipped cream, then remaining pumpkin mixture. Dollop remaining whipped cream on top. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate at least 4 hours or up to overnight.
- To serve, garnish parfaits with crystallized ginger.